Monday, August 13, 2007

Goodbye Mike Wieringo




While working on my computer today, I'm finding out some terrible news. Shockingly enough, Mike Wieringo has suffered a heart attack at the age of 44. Many of my artist friends are also saddened as Wieringo's art was a source of inspiration to them.

I never got to meet him in person, or get him to sign any of my Tellos' books. I have the whole series and I am disappointed to learn after posting a few new pencils of Tellos characters on his blog, he is suddenly taken away. I loved Tellos, in which he created with Todd Dezago, and on his blog he mentions returning to the series at some point. Now I guess that won't happen, at least not with him penciling.

On Sunday, I was not feeling well, and eating my first Krispy Kreme doughnuts, doing a little cleaning, playing some X-box 360, cooking and overall enjoying a bit of a lazy day. It's amazing that you could be doing all of that and one of your loved ones could be sick or hurt or dying and you might not even know. It's strange to feel somewhat guilty for enjoying life while you hear someone else died. He was a noted vegetarian and quite healthy, so this heart attack is a huge shock to everyone it seems.

Tellos, was one of the first properties that drew me away from the Top Cow books. What drew me in was the clean and simple style and motion in the panels. I also love animals and loved how the animal characters looked. I also enjoyed the tough female pirate Serra.

I've collected other covers featuring his artwork, like Randy Green's Dollz and the Lions, Tiger, and Bears cover he did. I am sad that I will never get a sketch at a show or anything signed, but it is even sadder that he will be so missed and that many will mourn this loss in the industry. My condolences go out to his family, friends, and fans.


Details are still sketchy but here are some places to find more info:
Here is a link to his blog

Here is the newsarama article

Here is the the Beat's article

No comments:

  • The Amazing Rob Reilly
  • The Houston Browncoats
  • The Poetic Lauren Perry
  • Aikarin's Customized My Little Ponies
  • Shop Tofu Girls
  • Johnny Delgado is Dead
  •