Tuesday, August 7, 2007

One-Legged Babe




Back from Comic-Con International and just about the coolest and wildest thing I saw was a girl dressed up like Cherry Darling from the movie Grindhouse. And no she wasn't some crazy convention-goer in costume, she was actually hired by the studio for the booth. She really was an amputee! She also didn't mind the countless photos and crowds ogling her.

I was trying to walk through the crowd and eat my new cookie-dough flavored pop tart (convention hall food is too expensive and yucky!) and I noticed that all traffic had stopped in front of this one booth. I was like, what is going on? What's the hold up?

I finally got far enough into the crowd to see a girl perched up on a pole. Not really that strange, but this girl had a machine gun where her leg should be! I looked at different angles and found that she was really missing a limb. Fascinating. I loved Rose McGowan and knew I had to see the movie Grindhouse when it came out, in part, just for the machine gun leg. Here was a real live one-legged babe!

She graciously smiled as people snapped photos and gasped in amazement. She seemed to enjoy the attention. I'm sure it hasn't been so eays for her, but she was the star of the show for many fans, and I hope that made her a little happy. Someone remarked she's not that pretty. Someone else retorted, well how many one-legged models are there? I thought this was rather sad as someone who has worked events and promotions and have had people say terrible things to me while working. I talked to a neighboring exhibitor and he said she was a really sweet girl and her mom was even here. I asked if she was wearing a wig and he said, she's normally a blond. Who is this girl? I loved her attitude and grace, as it is not all that easy to stand for hours, especially with a gun on one appendage. She even let people climb on the stand with her and take photos. I wished I had gotten a photo with her. I did snap a few shots. Props to you, o one-legged babe of the convention!






No comments:

  • The Amazing Rob Reilly
  • The Houston Browncoats
  • The Poetic Lauren Perry
  • Aikarin's Customized My Little Ponies
  • Shop Tofu Girls
  • Johnny Delgado is Dead
  •