Friday, August 10, 2007

Tofu Girls is totally cute and cutting edge




I'd just like to say that one of the best reasons to go to Comic-Con International San Diego is the great shopping.

In the tradition of my annual vacation, and in this case, my work and livelihood, I too went to Comic Con this year and although I spent much of my time in one spot, I did happen to travel around to see some interesting things, among them the one-legged babe at the Grindhouse booth. Last year, I stumbled across TokiDoki and although I'd never heard of it then, I loved the cute Japanese inspired graphics. Now Tokidoki is a cultural phenomenon. Rocking t-shirts, buttons, watches, pins, hats, skateboard decks, hotel rooms, vinyl toys, jewelry, shoes, iskin cases, and now tour buses, one can only say to their parents - " See, artist do make money!" Intensely popular and only offered in "seasons" the tokidoki creatures are featured on bags from LeSportsac, and although I got mine early, I now see women and girls alike from New York to LA sporting these cutesy bags. Tokidoki also offered limited edition makeup, including a Sephora exclusive, for the high-end professional Smashbox Cosmetics line. Needless to say, i scored big at the con by getting the x-small size t-shirts they couldn't move, and I went straight to the manufacturer's booth for the necklaces. I've ordered the bags off the LeSportsac website. The popularity of this line has grown and to prove it, I couldn't even see what was at the booth it was so crowded. Very sad for me =(

Also, another design company that blew up since last con is the Skelanimals. Now featured in the nationwide retail store of choice for goth/emo/ 80s kids Hot Topic, the skelanimals have been picked up by Loungefly and made into lots of items. From mints, stickers, patches, keychains, shirts, and more, I saw knew items at the booth. I picked up the convention edition red cat. I figure it will be great to keep in the closet until I'm 80 or something and then I can show people my "boney" cat.

On my limited travels around the floor, I discovered Tofu Girls!
These guys were new to the convention, but there T-shirts were so cute. They even had buttons, one free for signing-up for their newsletter! Also, they made cute fans, free with purchase. The people were really nice and took lots of photos for their website (you should go their and check it out!). I talked with them for quite a while. I got the green t-shirt featured below and the pink one with a faux mandarin collar(from the image at the top)! The t-shirts are pre-shrunk and really flattering to petite girls like me! They even provided a coupon, artfully done, on their website, how thoughtful! My suggestion: go to the website and pick up one of their t-shirts today. Tofu Girls will be blowing up soon and you can be early in the trend! Sign up for their newsletter and be informed about all the great products to come.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So nice to meet you as well..
Thanks for putting the art I did for Tofu girls up on your blog - and also,for the shout out sweetheart!
:)mm

  • The Amazing Rob Reilly
  • The Houston Browncoats
  • The Poetic Lauren Perry
  • Aikarin's Customized My Little Ponies
  • Shop Tofu Girls
  • Johnny Delgado is Dead
  •